Monday, February 26, 2007

Europe Day 10: Paris, FRANCE

26 Dec 2006

That's the end of the imperial splendors. We had lots of fun and undoubtedly enjoyed the eastern europe. We parted the group and headed to the romantic city - PARIS, this time on our own.

It took us a while to get our heads around their check-in system


Done!


Those two behind Rick are not our friends and I don't know what they looking at!


Munich international airport

Paris!!

I had my doubt about Paris the minutes I arrived. The airport is rather old and run-down. And that's not it. my doubt went even further when the guy who took care of our airport-to-hotel transfer kept us stand waiting while he was having a long chat on the phone. How important was the conversation I don't know and don't care but treating us like Mr. and Mrs invisible just doesn't cut it for me! The least he could do is to apologise before continued on his chat. My first impression of Paris is BAD I tell you. And I remember saying to Rick, "This may well be my first and last trip to Paris". However, the city itself soon changed my mind.

Paris is no doubt the city of romance. It is my 2nd favourite among other cities I visited this time. Have it been as clean as Vienna it would have been my favourite! Strees in Paris are unbelievably dirty. There are litters and dog poos everywhere. I wonder, and still wonder why don't they treasure such a beautiful place? I was told the possible reason, being, the city is packed with too many people thus it sort of got out of hand. Nah, not a valid reason to me. Singapore has done it and Tokyo has done it! I think it is the mentality and I'll leave it as that.

Anyway, the place is a combination of romantic setting and fashionable classy people. The whole setting (excluding the dirtiness) is just perfect although the locals are snobbish as expected. Their faces are without much expression.

Once putting the snobbery and dirtiness behind, I soon found myself falling in love with this city.

Hotel Duminy Vendôme, where we stayed


As expected, the room is small and cramped. This is basically the whole room with a tiny bathroom on the left.



Place Vendôme

It is just a stone throw away from our hotel. The elegant place Vendôme is the home to some of Paris most exclusive boutiques and the Hotel Ritz.



The 43.5m tall Colonne Vendôme consists of a stone core wrapped in a bronze spiral that's made from 1250 Austrian and Russian cannons captured by Napoleaon.





Romantic Paris





Cracking the Da Vinci Code - Louvre


I wanted to take a pic with the Eiffel Tower, but could barely see it. Fog, fog, fog!!


















Notre Dame de Paris

Notre Dame de Paris is a Gothic cathedral on the Île de la Cité in Paris. The first stone was laid by Pope Alexander III in 1163 and was finally completed around 1330.

The cathedral can accommodate over 6000 worshippers and it is the seat of the Archbishop of Paris. Notre Dame de Paris is widely considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture.




The Western Facade


Statues along the roof



Magnificent entrance graced with carvings





Statue of Charlemagne


Dinner, dinner



This was the last hotdog we had in 2006


The butter crepe for dinner


Paris by night













Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: