Saturday, May 24, 2008

Taiwan: 高雄 Kaohsiung

We were heading to Kaohsiung today. It was a long drive, so we stopped half way stocking up some yummy "jambu" and marinated mango slices for our pleasure on the bus.


After 6++ hours of driving, we finally arrived into Kaohsiung. We visited 3 sights and only one was of particular interest of mine.


佛光山 Fo Guang Shan

Also known as "Light of Buddha Mountain". It is the centre of Buddhism in southern Taiwan. The entire mountain has been developed into a complex of temples, halls and gardens. There are also religious artefacts displayed in the exhibition halls.

佛光山

佛光山

佛光山

佛光山

佛光山

佛光山

佛光山

佛光山 Fo Guang Shan


春秋閣 Spring and Autumn Pavilions

It is basically a spot with a few spectacular statues and pagodas by the Lotus Lake.

First came into sight was two gigantic statues of dragon and tiger pagodas. The dragon's throat is the entrance and the tiger's mouth is the exit. Entering a dragon's throat and coming out a tiger's mouth symbolizes turning bad luck into good fortune.

春秋閣


Then, not very far from the pagodas stands a statue of Kuanyin (Goddess of Mercy) riding a dragon....

春秋閣

春秋閣



春秋閣
In the dragon's stomach. Hehehe

春秋閣


And, a huge statue of 玄天上帝 Hsuan Tien Shanti.

玄天上帝

玄天上帝
玄天上帝

While we were there, we also took the opportunity to look see look see around that area….

凌宵寶殿


Stocking up some snacks for souvenir



苦瓜菠蘿汁
苦瓜菠蘿汁 Bitter guord & pineaplle juice. It is actually quite nice.


夢時代購物中心 Dream Mall

Now, here comes my long awaited visit in Kaohsiung, Dream mall - the biggest shopping centre in Southeast Asia! I was so looking forward to it the whole day, and was extremely excited as these big building came to sight. Finally, it's shopping spree time but the stupid tour spoiled it all! Why? BECAUSE we were given only ONE HOUR. I repeat, 1 freaking hour!!! For goodness sake, any sane person will know that's not enough, miles from enough. 1 hour is not even enough to shop in Wellington bug size shopping malls, tell me how could I have made it in this Southeast Asia biggest shopping centre? Siao!

Some of us gals/women/ladies demanded more time, but to no avail. Pissed but what to do? Wasted no time, I zoomed in and headed right to the fashion floor. I ended up spending my whole 1 hour just in that one floor, in fact, I spent 45 minutes in ONE shop on that floor!! The rest of 15 mins whizzed around the floor like a headless chicken. Aiyo, I had never shopped like that before you know, and you would be amazed how quick I changed in the fitting room, probably even faster than when Clark changes to Superman I tell you! Poor Rick was so sweet to accompany me the whole time, waiting and helping me rummaging through the racks. *muakss*

夢時代購物中心

夢時代購物中心

夢時代購物中心


And, I shall finish this entry with some food. Hehehe


Clockwise from top left: 豬排飯 (Pork & vege with rice), 肉燥飯 (Pork mince with rice), 蠔煎 (Fried egg with oyster), 肉羹 (Pork broth)



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

11 comments:

Trinity said...

Drolling as usual... hahaha... is it great to be 'swallowed' by the dragon? kkkkk... were you licked? LOL

Doreen said...

trinity:
I was swallowed willingly. The dragon just openned his mouth and I walked right in. He didn't even lick. Hahahaha

L B said...

So much culture!!!! But, what really interested me was the food! I am such a food junkie!

Par said...

Such a interesting place to visit.
Makes me want to check it out too.

oceanskies79 said...

Looks like a colourful time at Kaohsiung. The bitter guord & pineapple juice is something new to me. Sounds like you wish you had more time to shop!

Anonymous said...

I like the 春秋閣 very much. The photos that you took very nice.. You bought alot of local snacks?

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Doreen, regarding your question on learning the double bass, getting started on the double bass isn't that much a challenge except that of learning to use the bow. Mastering it may be the greater challenge.

Are you interested in learning?

Lee said...

Hi Doreen, you sure take real fabulous pics. And the colours of the temples, the food, shopping centre really beautiful.
Gosh! The food look really delicious.
Doreen, I love that red, purple dress you wore, and that stylish designer sunglass....psssst, how many sunglasses you have, ha ha.
If I was around when you were there, I would have used my zoom lens to take discreet pics of you as you look like one of those gorgeous Taiwan actresses...
Now no need for me to go to Taipeh, ha ha.
Stay beautiful Doreen, and hold that smile, Lee.
ps, love your songs.....

Doreen said...

l b:
Haha! We are all food junkie! FOOOOOOOD..YUM!

kay:
Taiwan is a place full of Chinese cultures and it is really worth a visit!

Doreen said...

oceanskies79:
Definitely need more time!

keeyit:
Not a lot, just a a few packs. Limited by our luggage space. Hehehe

oceanskies79:
Thanks! Yeah, always wanted to learn violin actually, but am quite interested in the string family as a whole. Thanks for the link. I should check it out soon.

u.lee:
Hello Lee! Those photos were taken by Rick, not me! Hehehe. Thanks for your kind comment and I only have 3 sunglasses. (^_^)

eastcoastlife said...

Gosh. One hour to shop in SE Asia's largest mall! Should tie the tour guide to a column and you all do your shopping. hehe....

That's the reason why I don't like to go on a guided tour. Too restricted, too many things cramped into the itinerary, and the tour guide would bring you to places to shop or where he can make commission out of your purchases. :(